The business was established in Clondalkin in South Dublin in 1950 by Jack Nielsen. The first product was turf. Then other fuels were added, logs, Bord na Mona peat briquettes, and McMullans Kosangas. About 1960 J. L. Nielsen & Co. began importing English coal. This was the core business with a delivery service to private households and a growing number of shop outlets. The firm next began producing and distributing its own high quality brand of peat moss. The founder died in 1978. With the advent of the oil crisis the business was able to expand and for a time had another premises on the north side of Dublin. It also diversified into heavy haulage and engineering.